Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pros and Cons of Audio/Visual/Podcasts

Greetings, Fellow Bloggers!  Can you believe this it…out last blog assignment?!
Our topic for this week is:
“Audio/Video/Podcast: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners”
Due to the fact this is my blog and the whole idea related to blogging is actually sharing your own thoughts, rants, likes, and dislikes, etc. I have taken it upon myself to do just that!  I hope I do not bore my visitors!  That is the beauty of blogging, right, for the author and the visitor; the author can blog about whatever he/she desires (to a certain extent) and the visitor can choose not to complete his/her visit to the blog if the information is boring or totally not of any interest to the visitor, right?
With the above thoughts in mind, I am going to humor myself as I take a walk down “memory lane” and reflect upon my own journey regarding KSOL and the EDACE program, as it relates to our current topic.  If you are bored, just leave; I won’t even know!  If you are intrigued, just trying to be kind or have to visit because you are part of my BRG read on…
Prior to the summer of 2010 when I began this “journey” I did only what I had to regarding a computer to get through the day.  I used a computer at work to complete electronic charting, I used email as necessary at work and home, I “surfed the net” sometimes and I generally left all things tech to my husband; who if he were not an Aviation Safety Engineer, he would have definitely been involved, professionally, in computer revolution somehow, someway.  
Yes, I have a Facebook, YouTube and Google account and I am even part of LinkedIn, however, I took Facebook off my phone (was a surprisingly freeing and liberating experience!), I can still access from my I Pad, my Kindle Fire and of course my laptop…I cannot figure how to disappear from Facebook, totally, I think it is like “Hotel California”…you can check in, but you can never leave!  How many remember that song?  I am showing my age, here!  Anyway, I am “connected” in ways I never dreamed of, some I enjoy, others I just ignore.  
Back to the on-line journey of KSOL; I can think back to my original decision to apply and begin the entire process to achieve my Master’s Degree ALL on-line.  Although my husband was supportive, I am sure he had a few “concerns” related to this virtual adventure I was about to enter, when I do not even know how to “text” on my IPhone!  Actually, I am sure I could do it, I just really do not want to; I would much rather to TALK to my friends, family and co-workers vs. texting…I love the personal touch an actual CONVERSATION still conveys in this “tech overloaded” society we are about to embarked upon.  Okay, enough of that!
Fast forward about 2 ½ years and I have surprised everyone, including myself!!  J  Not only have I become more tech savvy than I (and my sweet husband!) ever imagined, I can honestly say I have thoroughly enjoyed the “virtual classroom” and believe I have learned more in thisarena of education vs. the standard, physical classroom of my former education process.  Which finally leads me to this week’s assignment…are you still with me or have you left??  J

From my above “rant”, if you want to call it that, I believe I am now qualified (thanks to Dr. Kang and many other KSOL instructors) to discuss the topic for this week: I know, I know, you thought I would never get to the actual assignment!
“Audio/Video/Podcast: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners”

Pros of using Audio/Video/Podcast:
Ability of the learner to access information anytime, anywhere (with the right technology in hand); Asynchronous learning: Learning on demand
Ability of the instructor to “cut and paste” the lecture/information into shorter, more precise episodes of information, more directly related to the topic being emphasized
Ability of the learner to review material as many times as needed to gain a clear understanding
Ability of the learner, who might be a more “active learner” to access the necessary information while also completing other tasks; exercising, cleaning house, in the car, sitting in the salon/barber shop, in the airport…the “realm” is almost endless
Ability of the learner to listen to the podcasts in private, with headphones, while other friends, family, co-workers are involved in another activity; learner can be physically present, even if needing to study
Ability of the instructor/facilitator to “come alive” to the virtual learner vs. only a “virtual being” somewhere, way out there
Ability of information to be shared with a world-wide audience (if posted in a public domain site); not solely limited for the intended audience (learners)
Ability of the learner to “connect” to the instructor/facilitator/presenter in a way not found by only reading a lecture/module
Ability of the auditory and visual (via transcript) learner to access information in a more learning friendly environment
Ability of learners with special needs to either listen, read or watch the podcast as needed to aid with their “capabilities”
Cons of using Audio/Video/Podcast:
Possibility of “tech overload” for the beginning or even seasoned learner
Possibility of instructor/facilitator/presenter to become less connected to learners due to only presenting in the virtual arena vs. physical arena
Possibility of instructor/facilitator/presenter to be misunderstood due to not being in a personal setting with the learner
Possibility of tech issues limiting the presentation for the presenter and the learner
Possibility of learners not being comfortable with the technology and will “check out” vs. becoming engaged in the learning process
Possibility of instructor/facilitator/presenter to just record lecture from physical classroom to podcast form, if not aware/comfortable with the technology to cut/paste and reformat the presentation
Possibility of the instructor/facilitator/presenter to “check out” thinking that the podcast is all that he/she needs to do to facilitate learning
Possibility of information becoming outdated, unknown to the individual who is accessing the information for the first time
Overall, I do believe that there are more positive aspects to using audio/video/podcast in a learning environment vs. negative aspects.  However, as future adult educators, I consider it imperative that we not lose touch with our learners, no matter the age, the setting (virtual vs. physical) the topic, the environment, the culture make-up or the learning differences of our students.  We must continue to be engaged ourselves in the learning process to enable our own teaching methods to show empathy, compassion, and understanding and strive to not lose the “personal touch” that can enhance the overall learning process.
As I end this blog entry I am reminded of a quote from King & Cox (2011) “The guiding focus has been cultivating voice and empowerment with each learner as a person, a professional and a disciplined expert (depending upon level of study)” (p. 29).  
Giving voice, empowerment and confidence is a lasting gift that money cannot buy…we can only be humbled as educators to believe we have been able to touch someone in this manner; in the past, in the present or in the future.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

References:
King, K.P., & Thomas, T.D. (2011).  The professor's guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing


5 comments:

  1. Hello, Blog Visitors!

    Wow! What an ordeal! I have been trying to post this week’s assignment for over 13+ hours!! I finally had to post from my I Pad, which obviously had limited capabilities! I apologize for the font, the improper spacing, the lack of “bullets” and the strange symbols! All wacky and distracting, I know. I plan to contact Blogger.com first thing tomorrow (10-4-12) and discuss the issue. I even went to the web with my problem and found other users that had receive the same “error code”, which helped reinforce that I had not totally lost my “marbles” but just as frustrating! No assistance or explanation for the code could be found by others or me.

    I had planned to break up the post with pictures of fun clip art, but no such luck.
    If you happen to need to read my blog because you are in my BRG reading group…thanks for your effort and good luck!

    Like I told Dr. Kang…there is a reason my user name for K-State is “cando”.

    All good things…
    Alicia


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia!
    First, let me take a moment to commend your accomplishment on earning this degree ALL online knowing your apprehension. You remind me of so many of my friends (at risk of stereotyping...all middle-age women) that are hesitant to embrace technology. The difference is you overcame your fear and lack of skill to grow and transform yourself! What a great example you set for our age group. Way to go!

    On to business. It sounds like we were thinking along the same lines when developing our cons and I have picked at several con lists this week. So, I will comment on some of your insights to the benefits of video/audio/podcasts.

    Your first pro that this technology offers asynchronous learning combined with your fourth pro of learning on demand is so important. In my conversation with Dr Spear for my media project, it became apparent that his focus was on delivering distance education in more collaborative and synchronous manner. He seemed a bit surprised when I challenged his focus on synchronous learning. Not all students desire synchronous education or a synchronous learning community. In fact, it is the synchronous learning requirements of the past that have contributed to a lack of educational access for me (myself included). I "go to school" anywhere and anytime. I have posted on message board while road tripping to see my son at college. I have reviewed articles on my iPad while waiting for my youngest at soccer. I have submitted assignments from my phone. I have listened to audio mini lectures while running. You get the picture.

    I used to say that if I could attend a F2F class, I would, but my lifestyle and family demands preclude that possibility. Now, I will tell you that if I continue my education beyond this degree, I will seek an asynchronous online opportunity. I have no interest in attending a traditional classroom.

    Great thoughts. Sorry for the tech issues. Always the risk and definitely a con to all technology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia,

    Thank you for sharing your learning journey along with this last blogging activity. It's a long... blog indeed. ;-)

    You've met lot of surprises on your journey, haven't you. All good things! That's how you could come up with such a powerful statement "...it imperative that we not lose touch with our learners, no matter the age, the setting (virtual vs. physical) the topic, the environment, the culture make-up or the learning differences of our students..."

    Many instructors out there still haven't come to this understanding even though many of them have been teaching for years (Or maybe they just don't care). For them, technology is just another tool to destroy more students. I've heard enough stories about some instructors who fully take advantage of podcasts but make no interaction with their students. Technology can be good but it can be bad as well. It all depends on who use it for what purposes.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vianne and "standee", thank you for your kind words! Yes, this has been quite a journey for me, however, one I would venture into, again, without hesitation...wow! I would not have been able to make such a statement only a "few" months, ago.

    I appreciated the feedback both of you provided in your reply. Vianne, I can so identify with your desire for asynchronous learning; anytime, anywhere...what an opportunity! However, my ideal educational setting, if I were to continue beyond a Master's Degree, would be a blended program; both asynchronous and synchronous. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed this journey, I have also had to overcome the lack of F2F interaction. On-line education can be a little isolating for some of us; one of the few cons I can find with the virtual classroom.

    Standee, I found (value in) your comments, due to the fact you are a "facilitator", and a life-long learner, to be fascinating! I feel validated to realize that someone in your position can share some of the same sentiments of someone in my position. Thankfully, I have only encountered one such "individual" as you described in your post, during my most recent educational endeavor; the majority of individuals have been amazing!

    One last time.... "All good things...."

    Alicia







    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to almost everything you outline here, even though I'm a 30-year-old male. I had a great number of reservations in starting this program, knowing that I would never actually "go to class". It has worked out well though and I'm glad I took the step seemingly yesterday...even though it has been two years!

    You have developed a strong list of pro's and con's here, and I see that you feel the pro's outweigh the con's. I agree with that statement and can only seeing them continuing to outweigh as we move forward with additional advances in tech. Who knows where we'll be even 5 years from now. While working on our group wiki's, I came across the article below that discusses how online education is growing at such a quick pace that by 2018 it is expected to bypass face-to-face instruction as the preferred learning method (Nagel, 2011). That's practically 5 years away, on the dot. It's sure to be a fun ride, and like you, I'm excited to be a part of it to touch the lives of even just a few students in such a meaningful way as to help empower and motivate them to be their best. Best of luck to you Alicia!

    Nagel, D. (2011). Online learning set for explosive growth as traditional classrooms decline. Retrieved from
    http://campustechnology.com/Articles/2011/01/26/Online-Learning-Set-for-Explosive-Growth-as-Traditional-Classrooms-Decline.aspx?Page=1

    ReplyDelete