Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Welcome Week Three Wiki "Wantabees"
 
The topic of discussion for this week is:
 
"Wiki's: Pros and Cons for the Adult Learners"
 
 
As I thought about our topic for this week and the fact that I am both an audio and visual learner, I thought it might be fun (sure, just wait!) to begin the blog post for this week with look at YouTube. Yes, YouTube. Just like Wikis, Blogs and Web 2.0 can add to the overall learning experience, so can tools such as YouTube, when used appropriately; in the virtual as well as the physical classroom.  In the article, Investigating Pedagogical Value of Wiki Technology http://search.proquest.com.er.lib.k-state.edu/docview/200157232?accountid=11789 (2009) the authors state “Since the earliest use of the World Wide Web for teaching and learning, one of the most powerful elements has been the ability to engage learners in an interactive format” (Hazari, S., North, A., & Moreland, D.).  Although this concept is clearly stated by the authors, the ability to “engage learners in an interactive format” does not happen by accident or in a vacuum.  Engagement of learners must be sot after, if you will, by the instructor. 

As stated in the text, Using Wikis for Online Collaboration (2009) “With the emergence of the read-write Web, online students have the capacity to become collaborative partners in the knowledge-building process” (p. 19).  The instructor/facilitator must work diligently to foster an atmosphere of mutual respect, shared learning and desired engagement to allow such learning to occur.  Due to the fact I this is the last class in my pursuit of my Master’s Degree with KSOL, I can personally attest that not all instructors/facilitators have mastered the art of on-line engagement.  However, I am happy to say, that out of the countless (:0) classes I have had with KSOL I believe only two of my courses did not qualify to be included in the previous description.  I have been pleasantly surprised regarding amount of mutual respect and the partnership between the instructor, adult learners and other students that I have experienced in this “knowledge-building process.”


The following YouTube video discusses how many different disciplines and students, such as in our class, can come together in a productive, proactive and creative configuration to reach a common goal.  This is an importance aspect of adult education, in my humble opinion.  Enjoy the video…


http://www.youtube.com/embed/NsndhCQ5hRY

The above "conversation" was in essence in response to our discussion topic for this week, although the point of the matter may have been disguised.  Therefore, in regards to the actual pros and cons of the Wiki for the adult learner, there are several aspects to both sides.  The Wiki can allow for mutual collaboration from many individuals, while at the same time promoting team work and communication on a basic level.  On the other hand, those individuals/learners that are not as "Wiki Savvy" as others, may feel at a disadvantage regarding the Wiki.  Personally, I have completed several Wiki's in the past and I continue to fell a little uneasy about the entire Wiki process...I would just rather have a Wimba Classroom session vs. a tech type session!  Wikis have a wonderful advantage in the virtual classroom, allowing for students that otherwise might feel alone, to begin to work with others towards a shared goal.  Wikis are also considered to be "dynamic" meaning, "live" or almost ever changing.  Wikis also have a nonlinear and multi page construction vs. a blog or message board that would have more of a linear or threaded construction.  Wikis allow for more creativity that that of a message board, however, one can argue that the personal blog can offer even more freedom of expression and creativity. 


Well, there you have it!  My official second blog posting!  I am still learning how to work a few of the tools, obviously~I would have rather embedded the actual YouTube video vs. a link; but after several hours of trying, I succumbed to the “link”.  One of our fellow adult learners mentioned in regards to technology it is often “sink or swim”…I would also like to add the portrayal of “dog paddle!”  I have searched and searched for the picture of our beloved Daisy Mae (God rest her soul) beside our former swimming pool...she so wanted to jump in and do the doggie paddle!  I can relate to how she must have felt!!  :)

 
Happy Blogging/paddling…


References:

Hazari, s., North, A., Moreland, D. (2009). Investigating pedagogical value of Wiki technology. Journal of information systems education. 20(2). 187-198.


West, J. A., & West, M. L. (2009). Using Wikis for online collaboration.  San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

7 comments:

  1. Okay now I truly am angry (not at you but system) because my comment I spent ten minutes working on just vaporized into the ether.
    Alright, calmer now. To try and recap what I wrote (I really hope you see the comment in your email), good post, I like your conversational style.

    I think the ultimate "interactive" session is face to face in a seminar where you can debate everyone. I like being able to discuss when you can see their body language, etc. Isn't half or more of all communication non-verbal?
    So I guess I would ask you, do you see Wikis being as useful in a face-to-face class to supplement the main course material?

    I agree with all your other points. Wikis offer collaborative and "living" documents, these are both great virtues. Like you alluded to, I think if classrooms (face to face or virtual) are truly learner centric, the instructor should offer other less tech happy students choices to do the course work? Do you see merit in this or would this be too much for one instructor?

    I think I took Dr Pershyn's course with you last winter on Adult Motivation. One of the books by Pratt talked about five perspectives on teaching. One is the nurture perspective where the instructor takes an active interest in the learner and develops a true understanding of them. I think for Wikis this would involve coaching the less tech savvy learners and help them get use to the technology. Great part about taking this class as it will help us develop these skills so in turn we can help our future learners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Angry Farmer,

    First of all, "I feel your pain" regarding your initial post turning into ether! I have had the same experience, more than once and it makes you want to scream bloody murder!

    Thank you for responding to my post. You brought up several good points. As far as the idea of an instructor trying to be more learner centered by offering other "less tech happy students" a choice between a Wiki and a less "techy" project; I have to admit I have enjoyed having a choice between various assignments that I have experienced in other courses with KSOL. Would a choice such as previously mentioned make more work for the instructor? I do not believe I am totally qualified to answer that question, however, since the instructor needs to grade each assignment individually anyway and dissect each learner's involvement in the Wiki, I would not see too much of an addition to the caseload; keep in mind I have yet to each on-line or in a formal classroom setting, other than a professional seminar.

    I am attracted to the idea of "learning communities" discussed in King & Cox (2001, p. 122-123). As stated in the text, "Wikis provide learners meaningful, interactive, reflective and collaborative opportunities in which learning takes precedence, requiring immediate application of skills learning and promoting motivation and engagement" (p. 122). Although I would still rather work on a project face-to-face, the interaction provided with the Wiki among other adult learners, has enabled me to not only work even harder on the project at hand (because someone else is also counting on me) but to feel more "connect" to those that I am working with verses the standard assignments in the on-line classroom setting.

    Finally, I am glad you mentioned Pratt's text (http://www.amazon.com/Perspectives-Teaching-Adult-Higher-Education/dp/089464937X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347757291&sr=8-1&keywords=five+perspectives+on+teaching+in+adult+and+higher+education) regarding the Five Perspectives of Teaching; highly valuable for any instructor, in my humble opinion. As you might have guessed, I tend to identify with the nurturing perspective...big surprise!

    Happy Blogging...

    References:

    King, K.P., & Thomas, T.D. (2011). The professor's guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing

    Pratt, D.D.(2005). Five perspectives on teaching in adult and higher education. Malabar, FL. Krieger Publishing Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Alicia, good exchange of ideas and glad someone shares my pain.
      I found your quote from King and Cox interesting. It states the application of skills learning. I will have to read the context but I aside from select cognitive skills like critical thinking or some synthesis skills, I do not see as much application. My own bias is because I live in the world of psychomotor skills and corresponding analytical cognition skills, ones pilots and technicians would use. However, for me a wiki would be of little use for a pilot training asa pilot must be able to instinctively react to a crisis, deduce the emergency and carry-out the immediate emergency check-list procedures. A technician at the entry level is following a procedural task centric process when installing the a module, fuel line, etc. The higher technician is following a Quality Assurance process and ensuring all work on the aircraft was carried out correctly and safety checks completed.
      Now, as a forum for a Community of Practice, e.g. pilot instructors discussing how to grade a specific flying manoeuvre or standardizing what constitutes a certain assigned level, a wiki would be great. However, the instructors I worked with found it better to just meet face-to-face. Other Squadrons then had to follow my Squadron's lead as we were the designated Centre of Excellence for the Wing. That is we set the Standard and would broadcast the grading standard to the Wing and train all the instructors for the Wing. Interesting aside is some pilots did like technology, a discussion board. Some of it was serious, like talking about new flying regulations or better flying methods but much was about which airport had the best restaurant or promotion politics.

      I guess to summarize, wikis have a use for some skills learning but limited in other types of skill or task centred learning.

      Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Greetings, Angry Farmer! I enjoyed reading your post and reflecting your view point. I am much more of a F2F learner myself and have had to really step out of my comfort zone, so to speak over the last 2 years. I enjoy the Wiki, really, only because it allows me to work more closely with other class members. Unlike a few other students, I rarely use the Wiki for research or to be cited in a professional/student document.

      I husband is a private pilot and the Safety Manager for a very large aircraft company in the mid-west. He is very modest but he has been able to design and implement many safety protocols and procedures, both on the local and national level. I believe the two of you would have much to talk about. My husband is also building an RV-10 sport airplane in our hangar. If you are ever in the mid-west, in the US, you should "drop" by. We have a grass runway in the back yard and you could just land for a visit, a warm meal and a cold (adult) beverage! :)

      Thanks for your feedback.

      Alicia

      Delete
  3. Alicia,

    You mentioned that Wiki's have a non-linear feel and approach as opposed to having a blog. It is this ability that makes Wiki's great for collaboration and working as a team. That is what a Wiki is used for.

    I mentioned on someone elses blog and I will say it here as well. All of these technologies are merely tools that have been invented to help people gain other knowledge. If there is a group of people wanting to research worms then a Wiki is a platform that they can get together and study/research worms. In this sense, Wiki's are definitely a welcomed technology in Adult Education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings, Andrew! Thank you for your reply.

    Yes, I agree that there are many tools available for the "learners" of today; no matter what the age, actually. As stated in the West & West (2011) "Wikis are best suited for collaborative activities, especially those that are dynamic and non-linear in construction and will result in a shared product or outcome" (p. 6). This ability of the Wiki can also begin to create learning communities as also discussed in King & Cox (2011).

    Overall, the positive aspects of the Wiki are evident, based upon our readings for this week, as well as the feedback/comments we are sharing with one another regarding this topic.

    As current or future educators, the challenge remains before us to "tame" technology for the benefit of all of our learners; making the use of technology as "learner friendly" as possible.

    References:
    King, K.P., & Thomas, T.D. (2011). The professor's guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing

    Pratt, D.D.(2005). Five perspectives on teaching in adult and higher education. Malabar, FL. Krieger Publishing Company.


    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia,
    I am glad you pointed out with engagement on online learning with instructors really needing to some work fostering this. Wikis are a tool that foster further engagement in studies however, instructors need to some leg work of getting engagement in the first place from the students. Non-responsive instructors can really kill the effectiveness of learning for Wikis.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete